New Years Essential Oils To Support Your Resolutions
Setting Your New Year’s Resolutions
The New Year is about beginnings, amendments, and resolutions. The new moon is also about starting something new (see my Using New Moon Energy blog post). Consequently, when the New Year and new moon coincide, as in 2022, their concurrence creates particularly auspicious energy for change. You can take that even further and consider diffusing New Year’s essential oils as part of a powerful and enjoyable ritual for the New Year.
How to Choose Essential Oils for New Year’s Resolutions
When using aromatherapy and selecting appropriate and supportive essential oils for New Year’s resolutions, look for those that release blockages, support the adoption and fulfillment of intentions, and facilitate the transition.
Choose essential oils that cultivate openness, enthusiasm, and action. Those that are calming and allay any reservations, fears, anxieties, or addictive behaviors associated with resistance to change and fear of the unknown can also be considered, especially if the resolutions are challenging.
Fundamental to choosing essential oils is the context and the mental and emotional status of the person making the resolution. This is because the same resolution could instill different thoughts and emotions in different people. What one person finds a stimulating challenge, another might perceive more circumspectly or even with anxiety.
Best All-Purpose Essential Oils for Resolutions:
Your specific resolutions will dictate the best essential oils for you. However, there are some oils that support letting go, initiating something new, and creating change. These are the best all-purpose essential oils to support your resolutions.
- Cardamom (Elettaria cardamomum)
- Cypress (Cupressus sempervirens)
- Ginger (Zingiber officinalis)
- Jasmine (Jasminum grandiflorum)
- Nutmeg (Myristica fragans)
- Orange (Citrus sinensis)
- Tangerine (Citrus reticulata blanco)
Attributes of These All-Purpose New Year’s Essential Oils
- Cypress is cleansing and grounding and creates a constructive atmosphere for evaluating choices. In addition, it’s particularly helpful for resolutions that require inner strength and confidence. It will calm the mind and emotions and reduce anxiety.
- Jasmine and nutmeg promote enthusiasm and an appetite for adventure. Both are excellent sentiments for new paths and behavior change.
- Cardamom encourages openness and a thirst for new ideas. In this sense, it supports natural flow and synergies.
- Ginger has a sharp, crisp fragrance like cardamon. Similarly, it promotes drive and action. In this way, it helps one overcome procrastination.
- Tangerine and orange are both uplifting and optimistic. They also bring emotional vitality to transitions. Tangerine allows one to realize change without a great amount of anxiety, drama, or trauma. Orange helps one detach from drama, expel negativity, and feel confident and courageous. Thus, the two reinforce each other.
Actualizing positive intentions requires more than a simple statement of intent. The power is actually derived from focus, commitment, and embodiment on the part of the person who set the intentions. So, commit to your resolutions with supportive scents that create the perfect space for initiating that change.
Essential Oils for Energetic Clearing and Cleansing in Preparation for New Year’s Resolutions
It’s always a good idea to clear and detoxify before embarking on something new. The best way to do this is to use smudging, a traditional application for energetic clearing. Smudging is a traditional process of diffusing smoldering dried herbs, essential oils, or hydrosols. For those with allergies to smoke or respiratory issues, can see my blog on smoke-free smudging options. Both methods work equally well.
Some common energy clearing plant species:
- Cedarwood (Cedrus atlantica)
- Juniper (Juniperus communis)
- White Sage (Salvia apiana)
For information on essential oils for New Year’s resolutions and energy clearing:
see my blogs and ebook, especially:
- Make Sure Your New Year’s Resolution Vision Board Transforms Your Coming Year
- 12 Reasons Why New Year’s Resolutions Fail
- 9 Winter Solstice Journal Prompts For a Fresh Start in the New Year
- Going Beyond the Vision Board: Fulfilling Intentions
- Smudging and energetic clearing ebook
Patricia Bonnard, PhD, ACC is an integrated coach, energy healer, and certified aromatherapist offering a blend of conventional coaching, embodied practice, and energy healing to help clients go one level deeper and make important life decisions creatively and authentically.